Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 20

..::Day 20::.. October 16

Too many great things to blog about today! Here it goes:

First off, I hope all of you have a friend that you've had for a very long time. And when I say a very long time, I mean way back into childhood. I have a dear friend, Whitney, who has been my bestie since Kindergarten! On the first day of Kindergarten, she went around to our classmates asking if they had Jesus in their heart. When she got to me, I said yes, and the rest is history. I just love that story and wish I could peek back at the two of us. Such a sweet, innocent 5 year old looking for someone who loved Jesus the same way she did. Anyway, after many many memories (we lived just a few houses away from each other) including jumping on her trampoline (off the roof, much to my mom's chagrin years later when she found that out), belaying stuffed animals out her bedroom window down in front of her family room picture window, peeing in the toilet at the same time (or one in the sink, I know this is awkward), trying her awesome carpet cleaner (hair mousse, Mom wasn't happy about that one either), and mourning our move to Utah when we were 10, we have still remained close. Ironically (or perfectly planned, what do you think?), we had babies within a week of each other. I can't wait for Baby J and Baby R to meet someday soon, even if it's via skype so they can get used to each other's faces. Whitney and I have the type of relationship where we can go for weeks even months without talking to each other, but somehow when we do talk it seems like no time has passed at all. I love this girl and her love for the Lord, her encouraging, loving and life-giving spirit, and how much she loves to laugh and have fun (and she seriously has the best laugh, one that makes you laugh just because she's laughing). Anyway, this is one of my beautiful things for the day because in the mail yesterday came her sweet gift for us since Baby J's birth. Here it is:
So cute, huh!? It is on the mantle, I just love it. I love that Whitney took the time to find his birthdate in numbers in such fun and creative places. The best part? The speed limit sign is from the neighborhood we grew up in. Can't wait to tell J all about it and of course have him meet Whit and Baby R. I'm so thankful that God gives us friendships that stand the test of time, where it feels like you are connected at the soul. Whitney, thank you for your wonderful outlook on life, you are constantly a blessing and encouragement to me! Love you friend!

My second beautiful thing of the day is a Saturday spent outdoors. Today we went to explore the new leg of Parley's Trail in Salt Lake. Last summer, while visiting Tanner Park (our favorite dog park), we noticed they were doing some construction up by the highway. We found out that they were making this awesome paved trail that starts at the mouth of Parley's, crosses 215, goes down through Tanner Park, hooks up to Sugarhouse Park and I think will soon go all the way down to 2100 South and 900 W! For you Utahns, you know that is quite the long trail! Anyway, saw that it opened on the news and were jonesing to go check it out. Today proved to be the perfect day! We ended up walking the trail for an hour, and got in about 3 miles! It's an awesome path, perfect for bikers, runners, or walkers like us. Plus, it's dog friendly and drops down right into Tanner Park where your dog can take a swim! Here's a few pictures:


Matt and Scout, check out the view of the city! A little hazy, I know, but still beautiful!

Me and Baby J: the mountains looked so beautiful and the trees in the park were changing!

If you look really hard you can see Matt and Scout. :) I was on the trail up above heading back to the car with a hungry baby!

And, last but not least, Baby J is now 7 lbs. 12 oz!!! He is on a roll!!!! It is so exciting to put him on the scale now, we almost always get encouragement rather than a feeling of fighting an uphill battle. Praise God for helping this sweet little man to pack on those pounds! 8 pounds, here we come!

2 comments:

  1. Dana, I have loved reading about your 'highlights' of each day! Thanks soo much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana!!! I just red this and teared up. I love how God brought us together and love, love, love our friendship. One day Ryker and Jason will get to meet.

    ReplyDelete