I'm writing a little early today to get it out of the way and I have good news to report!
It's amazing what a good night's sleep will do. Jason's 7:30 treatment went really well!! He cried a little bit, but with the help of the Cat in the Hat, Super Why, and Dinosaur Train on tv, it was a success! He has his next treatment at 11:30, so I found some episodes on itunes to download... I think that will work. Well, I'm praying it will!
GOOD NEWS! We got the results of his virus scan back and he just has rhinovirus, the basic cold. So glad it's not something worse that hints at a respiratory infection. This means we're not on isolation and, while wearing a mask, we can go out in the hallways and J can walk behind a toy. I think we'll get out this afternoon, I'm looking forward to it. A dear family friend of ours (she's known me since birth!) is in town this weekend. We're super disappointed that we're in the hospital while she's here, but they're going to come up and visit and spend some time up here this afternoon. I think that will be a good time to get out and do some playing. :)
A few things I forgot to mention yesterday:
1. The doctor reassured us that this is a "routine" clean-out. That really put my mind at ease. They're not doing anything special or different than they do with other clean-outs, and that's with the knowledge of his chest x-rays. We'll find out tomorrow when he gets his next x-ray.
2. The respiratory therapists that do his percussion treatments have this awesome suctioning tube that goes up his nose and down his throat and then they suction as they come out. Seriously, this thing is awesome. I never thought I'd be so excited about irrigating my child's sinuses. :) They got a lot of gunk out yesterday and he didn't even need it today. My guess is they'll do it at the 11:30 am treatment and the 7:30 pm treatment. He hates it, but it's really helping.
Okay, other than that there's nothing new to report. He ate his breakfast well and is sleeping now, thankful that he's adjusting a little bit. Now, if we could get him to like some of his nurses, that would be awesome. But, I'm not going to hold my breath. :)
Thinking of you as you go through the first cf related cleanout with your son. We have a 2.5 year old daughter who spent her 3month bday in the hospital for an infection. Hope the time goes by fast and that you have positive experiences. Stay strong mama...these times came be emotionally draining but sounds like you are doing an awesome job! Sandy :)
ReplyDeletemommyformadeline.blogspot.com
Praying for you guys, I am glad that little J is doing well. Oh, how unpleasent it must be for little man to have a PICC, they are very unpleasent. I am so happy to here that he does not have to be on isolation, usually CF patients tend to have some sort of nasty bug, so that is REALLY good news. NT (naso-tracheal) suctioning is AMAZING. I totally could have used some when I was sick after having my tonsils taken out.
ReplyDeleteHoping he gets to come home soon!