Sunday, November 27, 2011

Humbled

First of all, just so I don't forget, I found this link through another blog I follow. Just can't remember which one, so I don't know who to link back to (sorry!). Thought you might enjoy it, especially if you or your kids or your spouse have the problem of speaking before thinking. 

Onto today's post:
Last Tuesday, I went down to the Salt Lake Rescue Mission and took some pictures for my brother-in-law, Brady. He works at the Mission and does their newsletter and promo materials so he wanted lots of different shots that they'll be able to use year-round. Saying I was humbled would be an understatement. Then need, the smiles, the anger, the happiness, all of it wrapped into one. The irony of the governor coming to serve, followed around by his personal photographer. undoubtedly to get some good publicity shots. Nonetheless, a man serving out of what seemed a genuine heart.
The most rewarding experience I had was working in the shoe tent (I was supposed to be snapping pictures, but got sucked into filing through hundreds of pairs of shoes to find "just the right ones" for the people coming through the line).
There was a little girl. She was 5 and looked like Dora.
She wanted pink shoes. In a size 8 or 9. So, we found some sparkly tennis shoes with rainbow laces... you know the love between a woman and "that pair" of shoes.
It starts young.
Oh yes, and the shoes were new. With brand-new tags. She was ecstatic! I was ecstatic. Prematurely.
We laced the shoes and tried to put them on her feet. Unsuccessfully. They wouldn't fit.
She was trying to cram them in, saying "they're fine!" when her toes were all but busting out the front.
"I'll find you new ones. That are just as great. I promise."
The words escaped my mouth before I could do anything. As I walked back to the shoe tent, I prayed over and over again, Please Lord, I know you can help me find the shoes she wants. I can pray that because I know He does care. About those little things. Or, in a 5-year-old's mind, those big things.
After much shuffling, I found them. Pink shoes with silver sparkly velcro laces. Even better than the first ones.
We put them on her feet, and they fit perfectly! She bounded off, skipping over to show her dad, who smiled and waved. A genuine smile and wave.
Isn't that just like Him? Glimmers of hope in a dark and broken world.
I'm thankful for those glimmers, how about you?




The man in the red hat kept asking me to take his picture.
Finally I asked why and he said,"Because people need to know.
They need to know there's people like us who need jobs and a place to live."

2 comments:

  1. Poignant pictures & precious story about the little girl. Thanks for helping tell their stories.

    ReplyDelete