Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day Four

Well, today was another relatively good day!
I had two wonderful surprise visitors bearing very sweet gifts. These were great surprises and it really brightened my day! They both brought fun new toys for Jason, and he spent the day playing with them... great!

Matt came in the afternoon so I could go and get some last few details wrapped up with the trip I'm working on for Hungry for Life (they leave Saturday!). It felt good to get out, but I was racing from Primary's to Draper and then back again in a short amount of time, so it wasn't really "relaxing". :) But, I was thankful for sunshine and fresh air!

Matt's mom aka Nana was also able to come up today, which is good for them both!
Our main CF pulmonologist didn't come up today and I was sad that she hadn't come to see us yet, but while I was gone, she called our room and talked to Matt about Jason. She is an extremely kind doctor and we like to think that J is one of her faves. :) She raved over the picture that we left for her (see below) in her office last week and said she wants to submit it to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation for them to use as how great infants with CF can thrive! Talk about a compliment!
She went on to say she was sorry to hear that we were in (she was out of town at the CF conference last week when we were told to come in) but that she knows "Jason will be fine because he's always been such a healthy little guy". Glad to hear that, coming from her. She's never one to sugarcoat things, so I know she would tell it like it is. I may try to give her a call tomorrow so I can talk to her too.

During evening treatment, chatting with the respiratory therapist, I found out that she is a Christian and just adopted a little girl from China. It was a sweet time where we got to talk about faith and when things don't happen the way we would have planned (CF for us, infertility for her). What a nice encouraging surprise visit with a sister in Christ to chat about real-life stuff. During treatment (hypertonic saline), Jason was acting kind-of weird. He acted like he was choking, then would try to cough but kind-of couldn't. After the saline, he had some good coughs and then all of a sudden all this mucus/throw-up came out. I was glad he got it out, but since he threw up they couldn't finish with percussion because of risking aspiration. That was a little disappointing because his percussion treatments have been so productive. So, we are going to go a little longer tomorrow during percussions to make up for it. Good news, the respiratory therapist listened to him after the treatment and was shocked at how much clearer he sounded! She thinks he got some good stuff up, which is very encouraging. I also found out the therapist we had today requested that she get to come to our room again tomorrow, so I'm glad that J's cute little personality is finally shining through and winning a few hearts along the way. :)
Matt and I are learning to enjoy our little times together and all the random places that we're finding for J to play within these 4 walls. :) We're practicing with a baby mask every day in hopes that we can get out of the room to play a little (walking in the halls) but we'll see! There are 3 other CF admits on the floor, so we don't want to wander too far. The nurses said they'd tell us where the other CFers are so we can stay away from those wings.
Continuing to pray for strength for us and peace for J. He's sleeping well at night and actually has a few favorite nurses, so we're thankful for that!
Here's the collage I gave to our doc, a great first year!

No comments:

Post a Comment