Thursday, July 26, 2012

An Update on J

As I was browsing back through my most "recent" posts (I'm not sure April is considered recent anymore...), I realized I never gave much of an update on J. Here are a few things of major or minor importance for those of you who want to know how he's doing.

Since April...
- J beat C. Diff! It lasted for 4 months and only went away after a total of 57 days of antibiotics (first Flagyl, then a course of Vancomycin, then a 40 day.. YES... 40 day course of Vanco), a strict regimen of Saccharomyces Boulardii  (probiotic yeast) and daily bleaching every surface in our home for about 2 weeks straight! I was convinced we weren't going to beat it... ever. When things like that strike, it's pretty hard to see the forest for the trees. We are so grateful we beat it, and are super aware now of his diapers and his "normal" so we can catch it quickly if it ever strikes again. (Interesting note... we had J on a quadruple dose of the yeast to try to give his little gut some extra help. After he was off of the Vanco, I neglected to wean his yeast intake. Yup, that led to an overgrowth quickly! Poor little guy. Just shows that too much of a good thing can be a bad thing). Oh yeah, and that 40 day period? I'll likely be blogging about that... quite the interesting little spiritual journey God took me on.

- C Diff almost always causes weight loss, and we have been "yellow lighted" by our clinic a few times since his bout with it. The discouraging part is that he's eating really well and getting lots of calories. He is active on an entirely new level, though... so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Working with our clinic on his weight gain is definitely difficult because I feel like we are constantly trying to push J beyond his normal limits when it comes to eating and to his size. I know this is a very common struggle in the CF community, so I know there is a lot of support and some great ideas out there... I just always prefer the easy path (don't we all!?), so I'm sad I don't have a butterball.

- We are soon getting our vest! We are trialing two separate types of vests and then making a decision after the trials. I am nervous/excited/sad/happy that this time has come. Yes, I am a tangled cord of emotion! I am happy it means we can possibly streamline some of his treatment time, but sad this phase is over.  Like with breastfeeding/pumping. I couldn't wait until it was over, but once it was I cried for about a week just at the fact that he didn't "need" me anymore. This is the same feeling, he is becoming less dependent on me for small things.
I am nervous because he loved hated his appointment at the clinic when he tried on the vest. He laughed and giggled screamed bloody murder as long as it was shaking. So.. we'll see. Here is a video of a cute little girl trying her vest for the first time... I can dream, right?
 

-He has still decided not to talk, so we are seeking help through speech therapists. However, he is making great strides! He can sign about 10 words now and has a few words that we think are actually words to him.  He has no problem communicating, so we are just trying to build his confidence in his abilities and hope that (just like walking!) he decides it's worth something to him. I'll keep you updated!

He is such a funny boy with a great personality. He loves to throw, loves to laugh when things are silly, loves being outside, and loves the zoo (!!!!!).  He is also so good and obedient... he is a great listener, which I'm so thankful for! Here are a few new pics of our sweet little man.



A sneak peek of the floors! ;)

Yes, I know he has food on his face... mom of the year!

2 comments:

  1. The video of that little girl is so cute but so crazy! I can certainly understand why Jason was scared of it the first time around, but hopefully he will warm up to it quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great update! I enjoyed every word. You are a brilliant writer-- I love the strike outs!!! HILARIOUS! I had no idea what C. Diff was all about or what you would do when faced with it. WOW! I'm so glad he beat it!!! I would love to hear about your spiritual journey through it. You're such a sweet mom, Dana, I think it's so precious that you enjoy each of the phases of his life, as difficult or time consuming as it is, you see it for what it is- bonding time! I'm sure you'll find your new way with his vest. And I'm sure it'll just happen one day where he suddenly starts to talk! The signing is awesome, keep up the good work! Brenna still likes to learn new signs... kids eat it up. Love you guys so much and hope to see you later this month! XOXO

    ReplyDelete