Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Reading the book first...

So. I have this thing about movies based on books. I have to read the book first so that I can paint my own picture and so that it's not tainted by what a director's mind painting was like. I learned tonight that the Cohen brothers did this with True Grit. They read the book and didn't see the original movie so it could be just their own interpretation.
This has its pros and cons. Because usually I like the book better. Way better.
I usually walk away feeling disappointed because I probably would have liked the movie just fine if I hadn't read the book first. This is the case with The Time Traveler's Wife. And Ella Enchanted. And My Sister's Keeper. And lots of others that my mind can't think of right now. (Didn't feel this way about Eat Pray Love because of a few comments from friends and after seeing the movie I'm glad I didn't read the book to be honest..) I'm sure I will feel that way with the Hunger Games movies whenever they come out. And with The Help when they decide to make that into a movie.
The only movies I haven't felt that way with are the Narnia movies. Maybe it's because they are animated so beautifully, but they surpass my mind's picture of what Narnia looks like and they match and exceed my vision of Aslan. Ah, Aslan. "He's not a tame lion, no, but he is good." I love that C.S. Lewis knew God so intimately which is so beautifully characterized and obvious in his portrayal of Aslan.
Anyway, the book club I'm a part of conveniently chose "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" for our book this last month. I am looking forward to seeing the movie and had already decided to read the book. I loved the book and the story and Lewis' way of writing and putting things, as usual.
And I cried.
It happens every time I read a Narnia book.
I feel silly crying at a children's book. Like the Giving Tree. Or Stone Fox. Or Love You Forever. But it happens all the time. This wasn't so convenient when I taught... had many long pause moments to pull it together while 25 7-year-olds stared awkwardly.
But, the Narnia books are not just children's books. Yes, they are tales of great adventure and exploration, and wonderful stories about children venturing out on their own and having to make their own decisions (even if they are bad ones, Edmund!), but they are so much more. There is so much symbolism drafted into every page.
Anyway, this has turned into a rambling post and I will leave you with a quote from one of the last few pages of the book. Loved it. Recommend it. And all of C.S. Lewis's writings for that matter. :)

'"There is a way into my country from all the worlds," said the Lamb; but as he spoke his snowy white flushed into tawny gold and his size changed and he was Aslan himself, towering above them and scattering light from his mane.
"Oh, Aslan," said Lucy. "Will you tell us how to get into your country from our world?"
"I shall be telling you all the time," [insert tears] said Aslan. "But I will not tell you how long or short the way will be; only that it lies across a river. But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder.."
Beautiful.
Next we are reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and I just saw that there's a movie of that book too, so I'll have to check it out. After I've read the book of course.

4 comments:

  1. Totally agreed - I can't think of one time when I've liked the movie better than (or even as much as) the book! Remember when we went to see P.S. I Love You and I was bored the whole time because it wasn't as good as the book??? I was the only girl in there not crying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I remember that! I remember being mad because I didn't know it was a book first... wouldn't have seen the movie if I had known that! That was hilarious... cold-hearted Allison. Hope you're having a great day! Love to hear that Davis is kicking so much, it's the best feeling in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you only had to pay a dollar for the movie? ;) Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN. The movies never even touch the images in my own imagination inspired by little words on a page. (I have to agree that Narnia has been surprising in this regard; I have enjoyed each of the three movies more that I thought I would!) However, I'm actually dreading the Hunger Games trilogy... Of course, this could be because I was incredibly disappointed by the books! Just when I thought that Collins' Katniss Everdeen was going to be the strong, heroic, principled antithesis to Meyer's idiotic, weak, and hopelessly pining Bella Swan, she turned out to be tractable, traumatized, and, let's face it, a mentally disturbed shell of a human being who was never really to take the reins of her own existence and purpose. She drove me crazy!

    ReplyDelete