And I'm doing pretty great.
You wouldn't think so if you'd seen the amount of throw-up that I or hubby cleaned up this weekend. But, I have a baby who is finally feeling better from a stomach bug (or possibly vaccine side effect... now isn't that ironic?). He's eating, playing, talking, all the good stuff. Even just clapping and laughing out of the blue. Oh, I love him!
I've been spending some pretty intentional time in the Word lately which is like an instant healing balm to my chapped soul. :) Imagine that.
I'm currently going through the study "Knowing God by Name" by Mary A. Kassian. I love it. I'm going to challenge myself to memorize the 35 names of God that this study dives into. For those of you thinking I'm crazy by talking about the names of God, these are the Hebrew names of God that name certain parts of His character. This study divides them into 7 weeks of study: Names of Deity, Character, Power, Authority, Splendor, Intimacy, and Sufficiency. I'm currently in the week studying His names of Power. Maybe that's why I'm feeling so hopeful like I can conquer anything?? Today I read about El Oseh Phela, or God who works wonders. Tomorrow is Yahweh Rophey, or Lord Healer. Oh yes, I am right in the thick of the good stuff. Exactly what I need to be reminding myself of right now.
Also, I ran across a weekly thing that I used to do, and completely forgot. So, I'm passing it on to you and I'm going to pick this habit back up. Each day you read these verses and intentionally praise God for different things. It really works to get your mind focused on the right things. Here goes:
Day One: Celebrate God as Creator and thank Him for all He's created. (Isaiah 45:9, Colossians 1:16, Psalm 71:6-8)
Day Two: Honor God as my perfect, loving Father and thank Him that I am His beloved child. (Luke 11:13, Matthew 6:32, Colossians 3:17)
Day Three: Thank God for His never-ending love. The more I praise Him for His love, the more His love is released into my heart and life. (Romans 8:38-39, 1 John 4:10, Isaiah 49:15-16)
Day Four: Adore, honor, glorify, and thank Jesus for all He did on the cross (1 Peter 1:3-4, Acts 4:12, Colossians 2:13-15, Romans 5:8-9)
Day Five: Praise Him as the God of forgiveness to better understand and receive His forgiveness in my mind, my heart, and life. (1 John 1:9, Ephesians 1:7-8)
Day Six: Thank Him for the Holy Spirit pouring Himself into me. Thank the Holy Spirit for His power, strength, enablement, revelation and ability to resist temptation. (John 14:16, Romans 5:5, Acts 1:8)
Day Seven: Praise God for His Word, His great love letter to me, and for its direction and fulfillment. (Hebrews 4:12, Psalm 16:7-8)
I don't know where I picked that up, I just have it all written on index cards on my night stand. Just wanted to give you a resource that has helped me in the past and that I need to pick up again!
Also, I've been challenged by two things this week. They both pertain to Cystic Fibrosis, so if you think I talk about that too much, then you might want to skip these next few thoughts.
1. I've been blog-hopping lately, something I swore off early on in J's diagnosis. You really never know what you're going to get (and I have ended in tears in more than one situation). When I get to the bad blogs, I usually search for a reason why that person's story could never be J's. I look for other conditions, other issues that these children have/had that J doesn't deal with and I find comfort when I inevitably find it. How sick is that? These are lives, who yes, might suffer from other conditions, but they suffer and I should care. Not compare. I am working on using my time on these blogs as purposeful prayer time and learning more about CF and about how it affects families. I have met a few women through the CF blogging world and am continually encouraged by their faith. It really is true that God gives strength when you need it and I see it in these stories I've come across.
2. I have been following the blog of a sweet woman with CF. (So, I initially wrote "sweet young girl" but then realized she's only a year younger than I am. :) She is 26 and awaiting a 2nd lung transplant. She is probably the strongest person I've ever encountered (even if we've never met). She speaks about God's will fully understanding He may choose to take her home earlier than she wants. How challenging.
I love something that she said on her blog, "We don't fear bad news. It has no power over us."
Oh how I needed that. In conversations I've had in the recent past, I can see that I live in fear when it comes to CF. Jesus said, "In this life you will have trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world." And that includes CF. This disease can't hold power over us or make us live in fear. What kind of life would that be? Plus, I want J to grow up to be a positive, insightful, and purposeful man. So, I have to start living that way to show him how to do that. Ready, set, go! Here's to a great week.
Wow Dana, what a post!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share the daily prayers! Im going to make some note cards! I so need to focus more on who God is and praise him!!
ReplyDeleteLove you friend!
Kel