This is the summer of salads for me. I'm having fun making some side-dish-salads-good-enough-to-be-the-main-course dishes and thought I would share the recipes!
They are both from the Trim and Terrific cookbook, my one and only purchase at Half-Price books when we went to visit the dear Olivers in Austin.
Give them a try (the recipes that is, not the Olivers). I promise you won't be disappointed (although that also holds true for our friends)! :)
Pasta Salad with Herb Dijon Vinaigrette
2 cups snow peas (I used sugar snap!)
1 bunch broccoli, florets only
1 12 oz. package colored pasta
1 6 oz. package tri-colored stuffed tortellini (I may have used more of this than the recipe called for. Mainly because I love it so much).
1/2 pound mushroom halves
1 cup cherry tomato halves
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
1/3 cup grated Romano cheese (I used parmesan)
Herb Dijon Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Vinaigrette:
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tbsp chopped parsley
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried dill weed leaves
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
S&P to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
(Mix all together well)
Cook the peas and broccoli in microwave until crisp-tender (I had to steam them since we don't have a microwave, and it turned out great!)
Cook pasta and tortellini according to the package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine peas, broccoli, pasta, tortellini, mushrooms, tomatoes, red peppers and cheese. Toss with Vinaigrette.
YUM.
Mediterranean Couscous Salad
2 cups fat-free canned chicken broth (we were out so I used water... still great!)
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/3 cups couscous (or quinoa)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/3 cup chopped parsley
2 cups chopped and peeled cucumber
3 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves or 1 tbsp dried mint
1 15 oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers or pimentos from a jar, cut into pieces
1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup crumbled feta, optional (optional!?)
S&P to taste
In a sauce pan, bring the chicken broth and garlic to a boil. Add couscous; stir, remove from heat and cover for 7 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and transfer to a large bowl. Add green onion, parsley, cucumber, mint, beans, tomato, roasted pepper, and olives, mixing well.
In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, olive oil, and paprika, toss with couscous mixture. Add feta and season with s&p to taste.
Another YUM!
And, funny story. I always confused dried couscous and quinoa. So, I was chatting with Matt and watching J and totally used quinoa by accident. However, it still tasted delicious, and is now packed with protein! :)
Well, there you have it. My annual food-blog-wannabe post! If you'd like some real kitchen inspiration on a more regular basis, make sure to check out The Vintage Mixer and Cookin' Canuck! My two fave food bloggers.
I forgot you had gotten that cookbook when we were there!! It is almost the only cookbook I use for dinners - I love it! And yes, if any of your readers want to give the Olivers a try, send them our way ;)
ReplyDelete