Monday, May 2, 2011

Instead of Facebook...

Recently, I've realized the upheaval that can come from posting about controversial things on Facebook. I know it might seem wimpy to post something on my blog that most people don't read, but I just have to say something.

I've been having a hard time with the celebration surrounding Osama Bin Laden's death. I get it. He was a horrible man. He did horrible things. He was an anti-Christ and opposed everything I believe in. But. I still can't celebrate his death, I just can't bring myself to do it. I know the hurt that exists for people who have lost loved ones in the war on terror. This doesn't solve the problem, though. Human nature says that someone must pay, and we're mistaken if we think that person is Bin Laden.

It's a sobering reality to recognize God as the Ultimate Judge and to know that someday I will stand before Him, a complete wretch who is relying fully on the grace given me by Christ's redemption. I'm just as much a mess as everyone else.  It's also a sobering reality to know that someone has already paid for the sins of the world. To know that no horrible deed goes unnoticed and we live under the sovereignty of God, whether we accept that or not.

One of the names of God that I've come to love is that he is the Ancient of Days spoken of in Daniel 7. He gives authority, He is the judge and His Kingdom will not end!

Daniel 7:9-10 and 13-14--

"Thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat.
His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of his head was white like wool.
His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze.
A river of fire was flowing, coming out from before him.
Thousands upon thousands attended him; ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him. The court was seated, and the books were opened.

In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed. "

Oh, how I long for that day! When true justice reigns.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dana... I agree with your sentiments and thought you might appreciate some scripture that my uncle shared on his blog this morning (note: he's a missionary, a missions pastor, and not one to shy away from conversation...yet he chose to post on his blog and not FB): http://shane.posterous.com/thoughts-from-jesus-and-the-bible-on-this-sig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what my sis said- my thoughts exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Dana! Such true wisdom the Holy Spirit gave you. Jodi VanRhee posted this scripture about the whole situation that reminded me of where my perspective should be: "Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?" Ezekieal 18:23

    ReplyDelete