Monday, December 20, 2010

Top 10 Christmas Faves and 100th post!

Well hello there fellow bloggers! This is my 100th post. I'm copying a few friends of mine, but if you leave a comment with your favorite thing about Christmas time, I'm going to pick one person to get a freebie in the mail! Leave a comment by Christmas Day, Saturday the 25th (I'm sure hoping you knew that..).

Do I sound chipper? I am. It is snowing outside, my Christmas tree is shining in all its pre-lit artificial glory, I'm sipping Good Earth Original tea (Oh, you haven't had it? You're missing out!!), and the most precious little (11 lb 11 oz) baby is sleeping next to me! Life can't get much better. Add to that, my DIY Christmas gifts are almost complete and my husband is out of school until January 3rd. Things are looking up, dear ones, things are looking up!

I decided to make a list of my Christmas Top 10. Here goes.

10. Christmas decorations: Some people act like it's such a burden to decorate for Christmas. Like there's some sort of "keeping-up-with-the-Joneses" that has to happen (by  the way, the only one making you keep up with the Joneses is YOU!). Anyway, I guess I'm trying to say it's not some people's cup of Good Earth tea. But, I love to get out the boxes (translation, Matt gets the boxes out of the dreaded Spidey Lair aka the crawl space) and spew Christmas cheer on every shelf I can find. While teaching, I got many obscure Christmas decorations, none of which match each other, so I've had to make some adjustments.. the mantle holds all things "snowman", the downstairs family room all the Christmas tree things that aren't actually Christmas trees, and the candles go in the kitchen. I don't know why I've categorized things this way, but deal with it!

9. Christmas movies: I love love love watching certain Christmas movies, but ONLY at Christmas time. You will not find me watching these any other time of the year, it just wouldn't seem right. It would be like Christmas infidelity. Among these movies are: Elf (Sometimes I want to answer my phone "Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?" But realize that it would be socially unacceptable), Polar Express, A Christmas Story, Home Alone, White Christmas, and a new hilarious one that Matt's mom introduced us to: The Christmas Wish. (Because after all, what we all need is a squirrel who will deliver $1500 every Thursday between 3 and 3:30). If you haven't seen it, it's hilarious! An oldie, but a goodie! Also, we usually try to go see a few movies during Christmas break. One year we saw 3 movies in 3 days with Matt's dad and brother, it was awesome! Hopefully this year we'll sneak in the new Narnia flick, I'm dying to see it!! Love me some C.S. Lewis.



8. Warm Beverages: Okay, this could be in a "Top 10 of Winter" list, but something about Christmas makes it better. My faves: Good Earth tea (obviously), Wassail (especially from Farnsworth Farms.. new discovery this year thanks to some dear friends!), Peppermint Hot Chocolate, and Starbuck's Eggnog Lattes.

7. Christmas Parties and White Elephant Gift Exchanges: I know I must be one of the very few people who actually enjoy these things, but I seriously do. I love getting together with friends, standing around the food table pretending like we're there to talk but really it's to eat more fudge, and exchanging gifts whether ridiculous or not. (I think the best white elephant exchanges are when there's actually good stuff that people want to steal. This year I got jipped out of an "Awkward Family Photos" book by someone who will remain nameless... you know who you are.

6. Choosing Gifts: So, some of you have read the book The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. I'm pretty sure I have all 5 at different times of the month, depending on where my hormone levels are at. Anyway, gift giving is one of my ways that I like to express my love for others. I love finding the perfect gift. Especially when it's something they haven't asked for, but you know they'll like. That's how I feel about all the gifts I got for Matt this year. FINALLY! It's only taken... what, 8 years for this to happen? Yipee! Also, I just LOVE the alternative gifts you can now purchase. We purchased a goat in Haiti in honor of some friends, and I can't tell about the other things we purchased yet because those people might be reading this post, but I love that you can now really make Christmas meaningful and truly about giving in a very tangible way, especially giving to those who are in great need. Some creative ways of giving in honor of friends and family include: buying livestock for families, helping towards the cost of digging a well, medical costs, and school tuition for students in developing nations through various organizations. Also donating clothing to a homeless shelter, donating food to your local food bank, or giving a donation to a meaningful organization in honor or in memory of a loved one.

5. Quality Time: For some reason, time with family and friends seems so much more special around the holidays. It could be something we've culturally created, or it could just be that for once we're actually just focusing on enjoying each other, but I sure love spending time with dear ones on and around Christmas.

4. Traditions: My family has Christmas Eve traditions (open presents, church, drive around to see Christmas lights), Matt's family has Christmas day traditions (presents, meal, family game time), and now we get to start some traditions of our own with a little one! I made a list of "Christmas time" traditions that we are going to start as soon as Baby J can enjoy them. (Maybe next year??) They include:
- Zoo Lights
- Live Nativity
- Lights Downtown
- Sub for Santa for a family
- I thought this list would be longer.. any more ideas?

3. Christmas Music: I am currently shamelessly listening to N'SYNC Home for Christmas (love it!), and also love the following Christmas CD's:Wow Christmas, Point of Grace Winter Wonderland, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Christmas Album, Josh Rosenthal's Narratives, Hanson's Christmas Album, and Joy William's Christmas Album. I also love TSO, Christmas Oldies, and even some Mannheim Steamroller! You will find me listening to and singing along with Christmas music starting somewhere around November 1st and continuing well into January.



2. Decorating the Christmas Tree: I know this is quite similar to #10, but it deserves a category all it's own. I LOVE to pull out all of my childhood ornaments and find the perfect spot for them on our tree! (Which, by the way, we scored for $50 at Rite Aid for our first Christmas in 2004. The stand broke last year, but my handy husband found a tree stand that can work on artificial trees too... voila!) Anyway, every year I tell Matt the story behind my favorite ornaments. "This is the one my Papa sent me when I was 5, this one was from Grandma, this one lights up and moves when you plug a light into it.." And sweet Matt just listens every year as I ramble on about each one... this year Baby J got an earful too, I showed him every ornament and told him about it before putting it on the tree. The best part is, this year, there are 2 ornaments on there for Baby J! A "Baby's First Christmas" ornament from one of Matt's students (who begrudgingly never got one of those ornaments and has made it her life's mission to make sure every baby doesn't suffer the same injustice) and a sparkly peanut ornament my mom gave him in honor of his nickname "Little Peanut". Here's a picture of our tree and my fave ornaments:



 

 1. The Reason for the Season: Looking past the gifts, the decorations, the lights, the "warm feelings", etc. This time of year is in celebration of the day that God chose to bring us back to Him! I cannot fathom how much He must love each one of us to do what He did. It doesn't make sense. In a world where everyone's trying to "climb the ladder", acquire more, and achieve more; God chose to climb down that ladder, rescue those who were convinced they didn't need rescuing, and He still does it today. I hope that year-round you are able to put life in perspective and truly focus on the One who created us and in whom all things hold together!

Merry Christmas everyone, from our family to yours!

13 comments:

  1. Great post! You forgot a movie- Christmas Vacation!! Have you seen it? Chevy Chase is so hilarious. Oh, and the Hanson Christmas album- shamelessy playing it on repeat! :)
    So great to see that you're doing well. We'll get together soon (we keep saying that but never doing it..)!

    jackie

    Oh, and I love freebies! My favorite thing about Christmas- finding the perfect gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so much to read Dana!! You are a great blogger and you have a beautiful family! Thank you for sharing :) Merry Christmas! Jamie Obed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and my favorite thing about Christmas, well, I have 2, is cuddling on the couch with my kiddos and hubby, drinking chai (the kiddos hot cocoa) and watching Christmas movies! We too LOVE Elf!!! :)The other is people, I love people and there are people everywhere and friends and family during the holidays! I LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many things I love about Christmas. I love baking cookies, making fudge, and other yummy treats. I love Christmas Eve church service and spending time with loved ones. We read the birth of Jesus from the gospels before we allow any presents to be opened on Christmas morning. We also started last year making a birthday cake for Christmas - it's something Asher enjoys doing with me. And, our new favorite thing is definitely the Zoo Lights. They are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite thing about Christmas 2010 is this awesome Awkward Family Photos book that I scored in a completely fair and above board way in a white elephant gift exchange at a Christmas Party. And if your freebie in the mail is a La Caille gift certificate then I may or may not call you a copycat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite thing about Christmas would have to be all the photo Christmas cards that come in the mail. I love checking the mail this time of year! Apparently I'm still a child.

    Such a fun post to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that I can totally picture you telling baby J about each of the ornaments - you are such a good mommy!

    My favorite thing about Christmas is getting together with my side of the family for Christmas dinner - one of only 2 meals my mom will actually cook during the year, the other being for Thanksgiving... anyway, she always gives us "poppers" at each of our places, and we all have to wear those nerdy paper crowns and read the jokes inside. And then my brother starts making his own inappropriate jokes and my mom gets irritated and it all goes downhill from there, but I secretly love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your 100th post!
    My favorite thing about Christmas has to be Christmas Eve service. I love singing carols to candle light and the amazing reminder of what all of our Christmas celebrations are all about.

    I love your tradition of talking about each ornament... we might have to start that one. Merry Christmas sweet friend! I keep thinking about the amazing news you gave me last Christmas Eve : )

    Love,
    Kel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for 100 posts! Way to go. And seriously way to go on bulking up your kid. You are doing an amazing job. I was telling Becky today that after reading how much your kid weighs I decided maybe I should work on bulking up baby A. She is officially behind.
    And I love Christmas stockings! They are kinda a big deal at the Blanco house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for comments! I had a fear in my gut that there would only be one comment on this post, ha! And, you guys have things that I forgot on my top 10! I might have to make it a top 12-14ish. Jackie, yes, we LOVE Christmas Vacation and just watched it the other night.. how did I forget it? Julie, I too LOVE getting Christmas cards in the mail, how did I forget that one? And Kelly, I absolutely love Christmas Eve Christmas candlelight services. Thanks for reminding me about these wonderful favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know you had a blog! I loved your list. And I really like you. You have been an inspiration to me since I first met you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would be totatlly acceptable for you to answer the phone "Buddy the elf...." whenever I call! :) That is my all-time favorite Christmas movie and perhaps my favorite movie ever. Ryan wonders what's wrong with me. Haha.

    Thanks for sharing your favorites!

    Merry Christmas my friend! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Dana! Love your blog! I am finally getting around to commenting on this great post! I love all of your Christmas favorites! We have lots of really fun Christmas traditions with the kids. We have a "Christmas Sleepover" where we have dinner together, watch Elf and then all sleep in the livingroom with the Christmas lights on. We also have a "birthday breakfast" for Jesus on Christmas morning with candles in cinnamon rolls. If you want to see some more details send me your email address and I will invite you to our family blog :) My email is laura.rowbotham@gmail.com. I think of you often and hope you are doing well. Let's try to get together and catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete