This whole pregnancy thing is such a rollercoaster. And no, I don't really mean of emotions... surprisingly I haven't been very emotional (everyone tells me that it has to do with the boy hormones inside of me... maybe that accounts for the pimply adolescent face and desire to swear).
Each trimester offers its share of valleys and peaks (morning sickness, happiness, excitement, frequent peeing, clothes not fitting...). Today I am going to touch on a few of the highs and lows of the third trimester so far (yes I know it's only been a week since I've been in the 3rd, but there are definite changes brewing already!)
Peak #1. Keep Kicking! We have one active little boy. Yesterday I was sitting in on an interview and I couldn't help but watch my belly. Every now and then he would kick really hard and my belly would visibly move on the outside! I couldn't get over it. He moves so much at night and in the morning, I just love it. I know the day will come when I complain that he's taking up all the extra room I have left, but I'm going to try to remember how fun this part is.
Valley #1. Sleep. Or lack thereof. In the morning when I'm tossing and turning, I usually just make the call that it would be easier to get out of bed and just get some stuff done than it is to lay there and try to get comfortable again. It doesn't help that June in Utah has finally arrived and the thermometer keeps creeping closer and closer towards hot and uncomfortable. Let's not forget that I keep waking up in the middle of the night accidentally on my back (a pregnancy no-no), then spend the next hour worrying that I've done something horrible and irreversible to my baby (let the worry begin!). Plus, everything seems like a bigger deal in the middle of the night so God and I have been having many "serious" conversations that I just can't seem to relax about!
Peak #2. Food! Up until yesterday I was happy to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted it. But, last night we started our Bradley course child-birthing classes and I was soon aware that my usual diet was no longer going to cut it. You should see the sheet I have to fill out every week of what I am eating. And, the little checkboxes at the bottom are already stressing me out. I actually think I'm going to have a hard time eating as much as I'm supposed to, and trying to stay within our grocery budget. (Think: 2 eggs a day, 2 large servings of protein a day, and enough milk and lettuce to feed a small army). I think I can do it, and I just ate the largest breakfast I've eaten in awhile, so we'll see! Should be interesting trying to figure out how to fit it all in and dealing with the inevitable disappointment the Bradley instructor will express when I show her my pink sheet next week. On the bright side, the other couple in our class is delightful! We have more in common than I ever would have thought we could have with complete strangers. I think we'll be friends. And, they're having a boy too... seems to be the trend!
Valley #2. Nesting. I know this should be a peak, but when the countdown on my google account reminds me there are only 77 more days left until little Ryder's appearance (don't worry, we're not really naming our child Ryder Snyder, it's just a fun nickname for now), I start to hyperventilate. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that I have been so stressed with the end of the school year and with cleaning out my classroom (which should be done as of TODAY!), that I haven't had any time to do the nesting things I've wanted to do. However, the nursery is painted (the most adorable Martha Stewart blue), and we are ready to start assembling furniture and moving in and organizing. I'm sure that I'll get everything done entirely too early and then be kicking myself (if it's physically possible by then) because all I can do is just sit and wait, but I'm okay with that.
Valley #3. Maternity clothes. I can't even describe how much I loathe them. Sure, the pants can be comfy on the belly, but the new appearance of a sagging crotch and back pockets that end up on the upper part of my thigh are definitely NOT attractive. Shirts are now becoming a problem too. It's okay, this too shall pass... right, RIGHT???
Peak #3. The realization that God's timing is nothing but perfect. I have been wrecked by His love and providence lately. I don't know why I spend so much time worrying when I know that the plans He has for me are completely perfect. I couldn't have even tried to plan life the way that it's turned out, and yet it's all so wonderful that all I can do is be in awe and sit back to watch what He'll do next. I'm so humbled by how involved He is in every little detail of life and how He chooses to involve me in His greater plan. I'm doing the Daniel study by Beth Moore (again!) and love the fact that I can be a part of the goal that He is moving creation towards, yet I can still have intimate moments where I know He's watching out just for me. I hope you're able to recognize one of those moments this week and that you will be in awe with me at just how amazing and loving God is!
Well, I could end on that, and leave you with a warm feeling inside, but instead I will end with
Valley #4. The fact that all modesty and decency in my marriage has been thrown out the window. The constant trips to the bathroom, "escaping air", and put-some-hair-on-your-chest burps (could it again be the boyish hormones?) have become permanent fixtures in our marriage. Most of you might say, "So what!? My husband always does that, it's about time for payback!" However, my wonderful (and I really do mean wonderful) husband has always been an extremely discreet fellow.. so now I'm the one feeling huge (did I mention I passed up my husband in weight this week? I had read about this day, but nothing could have prepared me for it), rude, manly, and gross. Oh well, I'm sure it only gets better from here! (wink, wink).
Haha I'm going to have to go back and visit this post some day when I'm pregnant so I can know all the things I do/don't have to look forward to :)
ReplyDeleteyou crack me up!
ReplyDeleteOh my love, I so wish I could watch you on this journey, but your wordsmithing makes me feel like I am right there alongside you. You are hilarious, and beautiful, and I am so excited for you guys. Congratulations...and I'm glad you're not naming him Ryder. ;)
ReplyDelete