Friday, June 18, 2010

Hungry for Life Updates

"and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday." ~Isaiah 58:10

I've had lots of people ask me what's going on with Hungry for Life and how my support team building is going, so I thought a HFL update was in order! As for HFL USA... we now have 7 staff members, 5 of which are raising support! You can read about each person here. We are obviously under the HFL USA section. We are eagerly anticipating and already planning our Auction and Dessert fundraiser which is set for November 12th at Noah's in South Jordan. We are so thrilled to get to host our event at this awesome venue! As lots of you know, a fundraising auction and dessert is a lot of work, so we are already looking for donations. If you or someone you know has any hook-ups (gift certificates, items, services, etc.), let me know! :)

We also are currently working with 3 churches in Salt Lake and Seattle and they are all headed to Haiti within the next year. Our field partner they will be working with is Joy in Hope. I am so inspired by the heart and determination behind our field partners. They are so joyful and eager to see their world changed. We are so lucky as an organization to get to come alongside them and work together towards a common goal. It has been fun getting to go and meet church teams who are interested in serving God on a team trip. I know that my trip to Haiti was truly life-changing (not to sound cliche), and I feel like I am as eager for these teams to get out there as I would be if it were me on the team as well. So far, HFL Canada has been doing all of the "dirty work" that I'll eventually be doing, but they are allowing me to spend some good quality time getting my support team built so that I don't have to do both (and prepare for a baby! Phew!). It truly is such a wonderful blessing to get to work with such an amazing organization. Mike is in Denver right now and he had 4 church meetings there, so I'm eager to hear if we'll have some churches in Denver that we're working with!

Personally, my support team building is going well. I have been having desserts at my house to tell people about HFL USA and ask them to become part of my support team, prayer and financial. So far, they have gone great. It is fun to see people get as excited about HFL as I am, and to really get and understand the heart behind what we do. The thing I'm struggling with is the follow-up. How do I contact friends about the financial part? Any advice? :) By the way, if you're reading this from out of state, consider it only a matter of time before you get my packet in the mail! :) Anyway, I really believe in this organization and I know without a doubt that God has placed me right where He has placed me at just the right time to serve Him with HFL. So, I'm really not worried, just learning to trust Him more and more with every aspect of my life. It's so strange, because I've never felt like I've truly relied on God for a job. I went to college, got a job, and made money. But now, I'm just trusting that He's in charge and will bring the right people to me. Challenging, but oh so good!

Anyway, I hope you are all doing well. On a personal note, we are at 30 weeks now! There's a lot that we still have to do to be ready, but I know it will all get done with spare time left over. My classroom is all packed up and moved, quite bittersweet. I don't think it will sink in that I'm not teaching anymore until August and September come and go. Matt is enjoying the summer and is in St. George at a basketball camp and gets back tonight. He is such a good coach. I went down earlier this week to watch some of his games and I just love to watch him interact with these girls. It cracks me up! I hope that someday they look back on their high school years with fond memories of "Snyder". :)
Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment