Hello bloggers!
With the celebration of Cinco de Mayo this year (as one of my students put it.. "it's like the Mexican 4th of July but we can celebrate it too."), our small group had a party on the Dos de Mayo where everyone brought some yummy south-of-the-border treats to share with everyone. Even the Rice Krispie treats that Jamie brought fit the theme, because we all know that Rice Krispies are the universal language of love. (I overheard a friend telling her sweet little 3 year old that Rice Krispie treats are a little piece of heaven right here on earth). Anyway, I took one of my favorite things to bake to the party and everyone LOVED it! So, I thought I'd post the recipe and a picture I have from Mother's Day last year when I made this! Enjoy!! p.s. I got this off a website, it's not a secret family recipe, nor did I come up with it on my own. The original is a chocolate cake, but I've always left the chocolate stuff out. I think I might try the chocolate version this year for Mother's Day though.. :)
Cake Ingredients:
6 eggs separated
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
(You can add 1/2 C cocoa powder to make it
Sauce Ingredients:
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
(If you're going for chocolate, add 5 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted)
I usually just frost the cakes with homemade whip cream, but you could really use anything. To make the homemade whip cream, just whip up 1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream, add 3 T sugar and 1 T vanilla as it begins to harden.
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-in round cake pans. For the cake, in a large bowl combine flour, cocoa (optional) and baking powder. In a medium size bowl, combine the milk and vanilla. Set both aside. Place egg whites in a clean bowl and beat at high speed until peaks are formed. Turn the mixer down to medium speed and gradually add the brown sugar to the egg whites. Once the sugar is dissolved, add egg yolks and beat for 3 minutes. Continue beating egg white mixture on medium-low speed and add flour and milk alternately until well blended. Divide batter between the two pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Leave the cakes in the baking pans. While the cakes are still warm, punch holes in cake with wooden skewer (or a fork will do). Combine the sauce ingredients and pour evenly over the two cakes. Place the cakes in refrigerator and allow to cool.
When ready to assemble, remove cake for refrigerator and allow to reach room temperature. The cakes will be very moist and will need special handling. Run a spatula around the inside of the pan and slightly under layers to loosen. Place the cake plate or tray over the first layer and invert it to let it fall out. This may take some time because the cake is so gooey. :) Frost the top of the first layer with a spatula. Using your hand or a spatula to hold second layer in pan, invert onto frosted layer and carefully lift pan away. Now, frost the entire cake with whipped cream. Refrigerate to keep. Garnish with fresh strawberries! Yum!
oh yeah! i just got on thinking that i would check your blog about the wannabe food bloger and there are two new posts! and little snyder is there too:) so happy for you. the cake looks yummy and i hope you can enjoy it. and oh, we need belly pics soon:)
ReplyDelete