Monday, June 15, 2009

Today is Monday.

So, apparently I do not have a strong affinity for regular blogging. If you know me, or have ever read my blog before, this should come as no surprise. I really enjoy it and even more, I love catching up on my hilarious, insightful, and creative friends' blogs (see: Lindsey, Halen, and Becky in sidebar). It's not that I don't have plenty to write about. I'm afraid that if I were to actually write about all that I wanted to, I'd spend more time "blogging" than I'd be content with. So, maybe someday I will find a happy medium, but for now, I'll keep writing when I think about it and when Matt's out of town (not sure why, that's just when it usually happens).

So, already, this summer has been quite unique in lots of ways. Let's start with the weather. By this time in June usually, we're nearing the mid-90's.. however, we've had a stroke of brilliance in the weather here! (Sidenote: can I say that I may have misheard this, but there's a guy on David Letterman talking about how he's living really in the future, 20 years ahead of us... I must have heard it wrong). Back to the weather, we have had lots and lots of rain and thunder/lightning storms. I've always known that I am the type of person that could easily live in a drizzly, dreary, Seattle-like town, but now I know it! Matt loves it too... when everyone around us is complaining about the rain, we are out walking in it and taking advantage of the front row seats to the storm we have via our front picture window. On Saturday, it seriously rumbled/thundered for 15 minutes straight! Love it.

If you read my blog last summer (which for the record, was not a unique summer, pretty usual) you'd know that I spent a lot of it soul-searching.. talking about how I wanted to do lots of things, but didn't have any direction or way of feeling like I could make any sort of difference. Jack of all trades but master of none ring a bell? Well, in walks Hungry for Life. Oh people. I am crazy about this organization. I just got to spend the day with some of the most wonderful Canadians I've ever met (not that I know many Canadians, or would think much of it usually). I am so thrilled that I get to be a part of expanding this ministry to the US. Check out the website: www.hungryforlife.org. It's interesting... everything I've ever thought of what a relief organization should look like is perfectly articulated in HFL. I can't wait to actually get started.. I hope to get to share it with you soon!

Another reason why this summer is unique, which is linked with the HFL stuff, is that I get to teach part time next year. So, this summer doesn't feel as desperately precious as usual, which is nice! I feel much more relaxed and able to just enjoy the time. Maybe it's because I'm so psyched about what I get to do with the other half of my time, but I also think it has alot to do with the fact that I don't feel like my regular life is going to end starting August 17th for 9 months. Also, have I mentioned I get to go to Haiti in October? The countdown is on, I can't wait. (p.s. I'm having a garage sale July 11th as a fundraiser for my trip. If you have old stuff that you'd otherwise be giving/throwing away, I'll come get it from you! :)

Also, I am turning 25 on Friday! I haven't really been excited about turning any certain age since I was 16, but this birthday feels big to me. I think it's mainly because usually when I talk with people about life things (you know, career, kids, marriage, houses, etc.), they say something like, "well, how old are you?" and I tell them "24." And they say something well-meaning like, "oh you're SO young, you have your whole life ahead of you." I try to answer graciously, but it doesn't always happen. I'm not sure why this drives me up the wall like it does. I think it's because I know that you can be 24 and be doing great things that you maybe wouldn't have done if you had put them off because you "have your whole life ahead of you." Well, maybe you don't. So, live it today. Whether you're 16 or 60.

Anyway, I don't have much else to talk about. Not that I had much that was very poignant to talk about. Here's my question: if you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? I know that sounds like a cheesy question, but I'm curious. Humor me.

2 comments:

  1. right now, .....Maine. I've been craving the sweet seaside village I once visited, lobster rolls and that fresh, fresh smell! Once it is a little easier to travel.....well, maybe europe, much more of africa or new zealand. frankly, almost everywhere sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so glad to see another post! and happy birthday. I pretty much love the heat and humidity of the south so maybe I'll just go to an island like tahiti or fiji and live over the water. Oh- it has to be just me and jeff so do you want to babysit four kids? just kidding. and yeah, can you come get my garage sale stuff? I'll have it all ready for you:)

    ReplyDelete