Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The First Day of Summer.

I awoke too early this morning with a list of things to do running through my head. With all this new time, I now feel like I need to fill it up with all the things I've been putting off for the last 9 months! I finally gave away our ever-growing give-away pile. I resentfully helped some dear friends move out of the lovely dorms (just in time, might I add, as to avoid the stinky carpet "cleaning" smell permeating through the building). I finally went to Whole Foods and priced the food, realizing that yes, we are spending too much on Winder Dairy (on my list of things to do tomorrow: cancel Winder Dairy deliveries). I went to PetCo in vain, trying to find a solution to ease my mind for the tick I found on Scout's dog park towel yesterday, only finding that their medications work for dogs up to 60 pounds. Scout is considerably over that, being the world's largest retriever. I came home and researched all the wonderful benefits of Neem Oil (check it out, pretty cool) including being an organic insecticide to use in flower and vegetable gardens AND add to dog shampoo for tick killer! Then, I went to dinner with sweet friends (previously referred to as dear friends) at great Jason's Deli (amazing salad bar) and hung out in their awesome Crystal Inn hotel room praying that time would stop or at least slow down. But, alas, it did not and I had to say a teary goodbye that is still making my throat feel tight. Because of that awful goodbye feeling and Allison's letter to Utah, I have decided to write one to Texas (that's right Texas, I'm messing with YOU!).

Dear Texas,
I have reluctantly visited many random towns in your state. My favorites include Amarillo, Dimebox, Dimmit, Tulia, and San Antonio. Most of them are favorites because of their laughable names. Most of my dad's family lives within your borders, but I am ashamed to say I have only come to visit you twice. Why? Three words: humidity, Texanese, and big bugs. Did I mention that side of the family is a wee bit on the crazy side and there's not much to do besides ride "Dip Street" and hunt for snipes. But, you do have great food. And everything is bigger in Texas (not meant to be dirty, Allison) especially the prairie dogs. Some of my favorite people are Texans and say cute things like y'all. I have never felt strong disdain towards you like many people do. Sure, I have laughed at the "Texas is it's own country" jokes once or twice. But, I have liked you for the most part. Until today. Today you became selfish Texas. You took back two sweet friends that you "gave" to us two years ago. Were they only here on loan? grrr... You even took back baby duck and baby goose. What makes you so great? You should read Allison's letter to Utah and see what you're really missing! Lucky for you, this only means that I will be back for at least a third time. Maybe a fourth. and a fifth. But don't feel too proud, it's only to see the Oliveras.
-Dana

2 comments:

  1. Dear Dana,
    I MISS YOU ALREADY!
    Love, Allison :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So maybe YOU should move to Texas... I think you'd learn to like it (minus the humidity and large cockroaches), and you could become friends with the Joiners, aka: the Olivers' other half!

    ReplyDelete