Tuesday, December 11, 2012

In awe

Last weekend, I listened to an NPR program (yes, I'm a talk radio junkie!) on and off while I ran errands. This program was about feeling awe and how people are either hard-wired to be able to be in awe of something or are hard-wired to be cynical or ironic. A lot of the program focused on how in our modern world it is hard to be "in awe" of something because we are so constantly bombarded with images and information; we're almost being deadened to it. They also said that our current generation is skeptical about much of this information or these images, wanting to be sure it's true or that it hasn't been doctored to be more amazing than it really is. I also think we are too distracted to take time to actually pay attention long enough to find any awe.

I'm someone who has always been prone to easily find awe in things around me.  Let's just take the miracle of flight for example... I am still in awe that a 700,000+ pound airplane can fly through the air at the altitude it does. (p.s. that's why I'm terrified of flying). But, really, sunsets, trees, flowers, animals, the ocean (also terrifying), and the human body constantly keep me in a state of awe. Even CF has driven me to awe at times. Awe at the human body and how just one mutation can affect so much... I was talking with Matt's uncle this weekend, who is suffering from liver failure. Even to hear how it affects his entire body is amazing.

Couple that radio program with the second week of advent and the sermon at church this weekend about standing in awe of God and His awesomeness, rejoicing in His goodness, and following His truth... I've been a ball of tears.

I never want to forget how to stand in awe of the Lord. I know that as He reveals more of Himself, that is the response I will likely have... but, I don't want to lose that. About a year ago I'm pretty sure I had lost that ability. I allowed cynical thoughts to take over my mind and closed off my thoughts to the things of the Lord. The more I re-learn about Him, the more I find myself standing in a place of awe just because of who He is. Let's not even get into what He's done, but just for who He is.

As we ring in the Christmas season, one of the most awe-inspiring times of the year, let's not forget to live in awe of the God of the Universe dwelling among men and reckoning us to Him!


Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!

“For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?”
For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.
Romans 11:33-36

2 comments:

  1. Hello sweet friend! Just catching up on your blog! I didn't know I'd missed so much! Your honesty, wisdom, humor...love it. And...I had to laugh because I happen to find flying and the ocean somewhat terrifying as well. Thank you for challenging, thought-proviking ideas. And for always pointing back to the truth. In Christ alone...

    Love you. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. D- Such a great post! Just what my heart needed! Thank you for taking the time to write it out, and for your honest reflections!

    Knowing that I get to see you tomorrow is so very exciting... I hope I can sleep tonight : )
    Love,
    Kel

    ReplyDelete