Thursday, July 22, 2010

Nesting 101

Here we are, 5 weeks until D-day! Not sure how I feel about this... excited for the outcome, just unsure about the whole process! :) We are going on our hospital tour next Wednesday, meeting with pediatricians next week, and trying to relax and stay cool! Matt is working on the backyard, which is making me one happy mama. Before and after pictures to come soon! :)

A few weeks ago I was feeling frantic that I wasn't going to get everything done that I wanted to before the baby got here, but alas, most of it is finished! Now I have a month to sit around and twiddle my thumbs. :) And I am perfectly okay with that.

The biggest thing that we needed to work on was the nursery. I knew that once Little Peanut gets here, we were not going to want to decorate a nursery. So, tada, it is finished!! (All except the window blinds which we are installing this weekend). We were on a definite budget and didn't want to spend an outlandish amount of money on anything, and with the incredible generosity of friends and family, we were able to do so! I think we've only spent about 200 dollars on everything from paint to bedding (thank you KSL.com!) to fabric, etc. YES!

Here are some pics:

First, the crib. We were originally given this crib to sell at my Haiti fund-raising garage sale last July. When it didn't sell (I couldn't believe it!), we hung onto it thinking maybe we or someone we knew could use it... in walks little peanut. It is beautiful and big and sturdy and we love it. (And yes, for all you panic-button pushers, it is a used crib but is in excellent condition, hasn't been recalled, doesn't smell, and meets all the new safety standards). :)

Next, the glider. Ah, the glider. This is a God story, seriously (Becca!). My mom wanted to buy a glider for the nursery as a gift from her and her mom, my Grandma Ross, who passed away. We started looking and I was seriously appalled at how much companies charge for a glider! It was ridiculous! I could have re-done our downstairs family room for the same price as one glider/ottoman. So, I started looking at the classifieds on KSL.com... a Utah must. We found a few that looked okay, but nothing great. So, I was on the phone with the same girl who gave us the crib and she was asking what else I needed. So, I said, "Well, we need a glider, but my mom is buying us one, so it's okay." Plus, I was sure they didn't have one. WRONG! She says, "Oh we have a glider, you can totally have it!". What!?!?! She goes to find the brand and it is a Dutailier, which is the nicest of the nice. It needed only a little handyman TLC from my dad, Wild Bill, and voila! It is perfect and beautiful as well. My mom and I ended up finding a website to order replacement cushions off of, so blue ones are on thew way! Yay!

Changing table. This is mine from when i was little! I used it until I was 10 (don't worry, not as a changing table, but as a bookshelf. I found these awesome baskets on clearance at Landofnod.com and then, my dear friend Heather from church taught me how to sew basket liners! So, they are all done and I think it looks pretty darn cute.

Handmade touches- basket liners, which would have been a miserable failure without the help of wonderful heather and a handmade mobile! Maybe someday i will feel like putting up directions, but it's pretty easy, DIY. I used scrapbook paper, thread, embroidery hoops, ribbon, buttons, and little mirrors to make it! It was pretty easy and I think it looks super cute. It moves with the air in the room and so far hasn't gotten tangled at all! We got the shelves on the wall from Target and put some fun stuff on them. Old books, my dad's old baby shoes, and a cute little cup one of my students gave me.

So there it is! Now only one thing is missing.. the baby! :)

4 comments:

  1. The room looks GORGEOUS, Dana! Can't wait to see pics of it with the baby in it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dana! The room looks amazing. You did a fantastic job! Can't wait to see the little mister in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute!! i want to see it in real life!
    -melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana,
    Oh my goodness, that is the cutest nursery! I so wish that I could see it in person. I miss you friend! I wish I could see your cute belly too. Keep me posted!
    Love,
    Kel

    ReplyDelete